Galveston's Olympia Grill

Tuesday, May 27, 2014
My obsessions of late are as follows:


The Bachelorette (it's baaaaaack!!!), hot yoga (still), the song "Sleeping with a Friend" by Neon Trees (I seriously listen to it on repeat, 7th grade style), these veggie burgers, and Galveston's Olympia Grill.

This month has been a blindingly crazy month of travel for work and pleasure. Last week I visited Rockport and Galveston to film some projects my organization is working on and was on a boat a total of 3 times (once was for Memorial Day fun!). I am very fortunate in that I love my job, and I especially love my job on weeks like last week where I get to take my camera and spend some time out of the office. I spent one night in Galveston at the Tremont House, which was a real treat.



This gorgeous, historic hotel has a lovely laid back, beachy, old world feel.

But more importantly, it also has a swanky little bar with an impressive cocktail list.


And one more thing about the Tremont House - I had breakfast at the lovely cafe just off the lobby, and it was delightful.



Egg and cheese panini with fruit, complete with a flower on top? Yes please.

So on Wednesday, after a day of filming and traveling (driving for a total of 7+ hours), I checked into the Tremont, took a much needed shower, and was on a desperate hunt for food (and by food I mean wine). At the recommendation of my coworker Ellen, I walked over to the Greek restaurant Olympia Grill off of Pier 21 for dinner on their expansive deck on the water.

I'm going to be honest - overlooking barges and cruise ships, it's not the prettiest of views. But if you are in Galveston on that side of the island, this really is an ideal spot. The weather was perfect that night, and having a glass of wine on the deck with the ocean breeze on my face was heaven.


I started off with the Yolandi Dolmas, aka grape leaves, and they were killer. NYC is flush with proper Greek restaurants, and I hadn't had grape leaves since being back in Houston. Grape leaves can sometimes have a tendency to be on the dry side, but these did not disappoint. Perfectly tangy, light, and fresh, these served as the perfect starter.

I then opted for one of their spring special appetizers, the Southern Falafel.


Again, I hadn't had falafel since eating them from several of the Halal carts scattered throughout NYC, and these too did not disappoint. Falafel can sometimes be a little mushy, but these were wonderfully crisp and the perfect size (more compact than overwhelmingly large). Also, the hummus that came with the falafel was super fresh and  utterly delectable. The southern "twist" on this dish was a side of pico de gallo, which really took it to a new level. The combination of the crispy falafel, creamy hummus, and spicy pico was wonderful. In a nutshell: The falafel was falabulous!

Not sorry.

I don't get down to Galveston a lot, so this mini solo trip was a lovely change of pace. I definitely recommend staying at the Tremont, or at least popping in to check out its grandiose lobby with a fancy cocktail or six in hand. And if you're near Pier 21, I cannot recommend Olympia Grill enough. The food is divine, and you really can't beat the atmosphere.


I'm *probably* going to turn into a mermaid soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

> Back to Top